Long term rental

Long term rental

Postby Boab » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi
My partner and I want to move to Zakynthos when we retire next year.
We are looking to rent an apartment/house with one or two bedrooms either furnished or unfurnished
preferably in the Alykes area but we would be interested in other areas.
Can anybody help us with any information ?
Best Regards

Boab
Boab

Re: Long term rental

Postby ians » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:14 pm

My best advice is to come out and stay in a hotel for a short time. You can then look around. You really need to be here to see the properties and sign a contract, give a deposit or whatever. Book a cheap package holiday early or late season, hire a car and spend the time looking for somewhere to live. Talk to expats who live here. The longer you can stay, the better you can explore the island to see where you really want to live.
Don't try to do everything in a hurry. Be prepared to make a few visits here. If you can, keep your place in UK until you have found what you want, or put your belongings in store in UK ready to ship when you have somewhere.
There are very few rental properties handled by estate agents. You will have to ask around. The Greek newspapers have rentals but you will probably end up with a landlord who does not speak any English.
ians
Site Admin

Postby Boab » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks for that advice Ian.
We will be coming over for a week on Monday 25th Oct. staying at the Ionian Blue in Kalamaki.
We have hired a car from the 26th and will be having a good look round. This will be our 8th or 9th time on the island and we do try to speak to as many people as we can.
Please do not feel obliged to but would there be any chance of meeting for a chat ?
If not it's perfectly OK and we will keep up through the forum.
Thanks again
Boab

Postby ians » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:29 am

I have sent you a PM
ians
Site Admin

Postby dan25 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:53 pm

ians wrote:My best advice is to come out and stay in a hotel for a short time. You can then look around. You really need to be here to see the properties and sign a contract, give a deposit or whatever. Book a cheap package holiday early or late season, hire a car and spend the time looking for somewhere to live. Talk to expats who live here. The longer you can stay, the better you can explore the island to see where you really want to live.
Don't try to do everything in a hurry. Be prepared to make a few visits here. If you can, keep your place in UK until you have found what you want, or put your belongings in store in UK ready to ship when you have somewhere.
There are very few rental properties handled by estate agents. You will have to ask around. The Greek newspapers have rentals but you will probably end up with a landlord who does not speak any English.

I agree, great advice.
dan25

Postby shirley » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:25 pm

hi we rent out our mobile home for longer term lets, you could try a winter out in alykes to see what you think, we charge £450 per month in the winter months, if your interested send me a email to holidayhomeinzante@gmail.com, good luck we love it in alykes but haven't tried a winter out there yet.
shirley

Postby ians » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:54 pm

That seems expensive. You can get a 2 bedroom apartment for less than 300euro.
ians
Site Admin

Postby lindylou » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Having recently made the desision to move abroad and visiting Zante last month, we are really interested in living there. How do we find a reasonably priced apartment/villa to rent. We spoke to an English lady working in a bar in Alykes and she told us we could rent something for around 230 euros or even cheaper if we were 'in the sticks' or prepared to live in a tiny house/flat. Being green in all matters involved in living abroad, I would really appreciate a little help or advice. Another significent consideration is that my husband is an injecting diabetic. How do we go about obtaining essential medication in Zante and does anyone know how much it is likely to cost?
lindylou

Postby ians » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 pm

House rentals are becoming cheaper, although some owners are reluctant to drop their prices. It depends what you want. The cheaper places may be older and more expensive to heat in winter (no double glazing, gaps around windows and doors and no wall insulation). You really need to be on the island to look at property or take a short lease while you look for someting more permanent. Much of the rental property is word of mouth or Greek language local newspapers. Most of the Estate agents do not have much for rent, they concentrate on selling.

Regarding the medical position, if you are receiving a UK state pension, you can join the IKA health scheme here. Things are changing due to the financial crisis and I am told that you have to pay 25% of the cost of medicines plus 1€. More health problems are being taken off the "free" list but I expect diabetis is considered life threatening so should be covered. If you are not covered by health insurance a visit to a doctor is 30 or 40€. I can find out the cost of the medication if you message me the name. Not all medicines are available here but there is usually an alternative.
ians
Site Admin

Return to Renting Property